A Shocking Discovery

Over the last few days, I have been thinking about what my next post should be about. I was feeling like I needed something that was more in depth about animal testing since my last few posts have been about companies that do not test their cosmetics on animals. I was feeling a bit stuck since I was narrowing my posts down to makeup and bath products. Finally, this morning while I was completing my daily routine of getting ready, I went to grab my favorite perfume when I realized, "Ah hah! I wonder if perfume is tested on animals!" I did some research and found out that unfortunately, yes… perfume is tested on animals. 


According to an article I found called, How Are Perfumes Tested on Animals, scientists perform a test called the "Draize Eye/Skin Test". "This is done by dropping or smearing some of the product onto the skin of rabbits. Potential harm to human eyes is detected by dripping some of the chemical into the rabbits eyes." The next question is to find out how the product will affect the body if it is somehow ingested. This is performed on mice, and consists of forcing the mice to swallow or inhale some of the perfume. 


If you are interested in finding perfume that has not been tested on animals, PETA featured a company called Puig that is a fragrance company that does not test on animals. Puig is behind some very well known perfumes that come from companies such as Prada, Nina Ricci, Carolina Herrera, Commes des Garçons, Paco Rabanne, Antonio Banderas, and Shakira. (Cruelty-Free Fragrances by Puig)


I hope this motivates you all to consider checking out some fragrances that are from companies where animals have not been hurt in the process of testing. An easy question to ask at a fragrance counter is "Do you know of any perfumes that are not tested on animals?" and the sales associate will most likely know if they carry any!


Cheers,
Haleigh

At Home

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

2 comments:

  1. That is unfortunately, I love this perfume! I know your are talking about anti-animal testing companies but maybe you can talk about some alternatives they have to animal testing in the beauty industry. I'm just wondering how would they test these chemicals to make sure that perfumes and any other beauty products don't harm us? That would be a cool post to read about, just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thank you! I have been thinking about how I was going to introduce that, and I'll defiantly research that and do a post on it soon :)

      Delete