Something You Should Know

 About a month ago, I was "surfing the net" and came across another beauty blog with a post titled, "Animal Testing: Beauty Companies That Do and Do Not Test On Animals." This really caught my attention because while I knew that many companies did test on animals, I had that sort of "out of sight, out of mind" outlook on it. If I didn't think too much into it or know much about it, I didn't have to worry. That all changed when I came across the list of companies that do test on animals, and realized that I have been using products from quite a lot of these companies. 

I'm sure we have all heard about how grotesque animal testing is (if not we can assume), similar to how most of us are somewhat aware of what goes on in the meat packing industry that causes so many Americans to become vegetarians. As soon as things come to our attention, it feels a little more real, and in my case, I began to really think about the innocent animals that are used in the testing process. To me, it seems a bit selfish that we allow animals to go through suffering, just so we as humans can slab on our daily load of makeup, and assume we won't have a bad reaction.  

A girl named Renee has a really awesome beauty blog, and in 2010 she did a post regarding which cosmetic companies do and do not test their products on animals. Here is the Link: Which Beauty Companies Do Not Test on Animals 



A few of the companies I was most shocked by were: Clean & Clear, Covergirl, Olay, Pantene and Maybeline (as of 2010 these companies tested on animals). Just recently I found another website that has a list that was updated on Feb. 26, 2012 with a lot more companies that I was aware of. Some of these companies listed were not just cosmetic companies, but included companies that produce things like cleaning products, perfumes, toothpaste and air fresheners, along with many other things. I personally use and have used quite a few products from these companies. This really gets me interested to know, WHY do animals need to be tested to know if cleaning products are safe? That's just flat out inhumane. I'll defiantly be doing more research to find out more about this! Companies That Sill Test on Animals (2012)


I'm really starting to go out and look for some alternatives to these products because although they work for me, there are poor animals getting hurt in the process, which to me, is not worth using them. I had never really thought about how animals had to go through pain and in some cases death, just so the products they produced can be known as safe. 


Now, some of you reading this may be thinking “is this blog just targeted to women?” and the answer is “No!” Men use a lot of “beauty” products too, such as shaving crème, face wash, body wash, soap, etc, and it is just as easy for men to find alternatives to the products they are using that may have been tested on animals too.

I encourage anyone who uses products from the companies above to check out the link, and check back for more posts about how to know if your products have been tested on animals, and some alternative products you can use! 

Cheers, 
Haleigh

(Credit: http://beautyfool.com/,http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ethics_test.htm Photo: http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi, & http://beautyfool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/animal-testing.jpg, http://www.nocruelcosmetics.org/_lib/images/no_cruel_cosmetics_logo.png)

At Home

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

8 comments:

  1. Your topic is very interesting. It is sad how much of these issues get swept under the rug. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know its soo sad :( Poor animals!

      Delete
  2. Your analogy to the food industry is spot on. I remember reading the book fast food nation in a class and learning about not only how bad the animals are treated but the gross conditions they are placed into. Living in their own piles of feces and stuff... gross! I still eat meat though, out of sight out of mind I suppose...
    I can only imagine the sad dolled up face of the unhappiest chimp with the fullest red lips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the conditions they are put in are so terrible and gross :( It's really sad to think about. I still eat meat as well, but I've decided that bringing awareness to animal testing is a good way to start moving in the right direction as far as animal rights are concerned..

      Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

      Delete
  3. I just re- read your post and threw away my Dove shampoo and conditioner. I always wondered what products I used were tested on animals, but I was always too afraid to check. Thanks for letting us know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's awesome. I'm in the process of finding alternatives to a lot of the products I use too, keep checking back for more posts on some. I went shopping for some new (cruelty-free) products today and will be trying them out so I can do a post on them soon!

      Thanks for reading my post!

      Delete
  4. This is useful information!! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow felt to guilty. I have been using clean and clear face wash, Pantene shampoo and l'preal make up.
    Well only comfort I see was it was ok washing my dog in Pantene soap we had run out of dog shampoo that day.
    I always wonder why they never make awesome soap for dogs. I mist admit made her coat look beautiful but I am still horrified at the trial and error other animals had to go through.

    ReplyDelete