Do You Think Wearing Animal Fur Is Disgusting?




I began wondering what other things may be tested on animals that didn’t first come to mind after I discovered that most perfume is. Once again, while in the midst of my daily routine of getting ready, I picked up my make brush set and thought, “I wonder if makeup brushes are in anyway linked to animal cruelty.” Needless to say, what I discovered was quite shocking. 


While I was beginning my research, I came across an article written by PETA, titled “Is there a Squirrel in Your Makeup Bag?” As soon as I started reading, I was instantly pulled in and wanted to continue learning more. It brought to my attention that there is a good chance that the makeup brushes I use are made from animal fur. This is something that had never really occurred to me before, so I couldn't help but continue to read. It went on to say, "If you wouldn't wear fur, you definitely don't want to use it to apply your cruelty-free cosmetics." As soon as I finished the article, I grabbed my brush case and began to research the brands that I have been using. 


The majority of my makeup brushes come from two companies, Eco Tools and Mary Kay. I first decided to research Eco Tools on their website, I found out that their company is 100% cruelty-free and have some of the softest synthetic taklon on the market. They also use bamboo for their handles and recycled aluminum to connect the handle to the brush, which makes them very eco-friendly. Mary Kay also prides themselves in not testing on animals, on their website they say, “[Mary Kay®] does not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to do so on our behalf, except when absolutely required by law” Although they say they do not conduct animal testing, they never once say they are 100% cruelty-free so I will continue to research what the true story is with Mary Kay. 
This brought me to my next question. What are the pros and of using real fur over synthetic? According to Britta Aragon who wrote the article, Do Animal-Hair Makeup Brushes Contribute to Animal Cruelty?, some pros to using animal-hair brushes, are "softness, ability to 'carry color' and usefulness for specific natural-looking applications." Different types of animals are used for different brushes, because each type of fur is "good" for a different application process. For eyebrows, badger hair is used to “define, shape, and fill in brows”. Goat hair, which is very soft, offers a “medium-to-full application” that gives an even and natural look. Mink tail is used in brushes that focus on applications that are precise. Pony hair is “used in blush or eye brushes” and is known to be strong enough to contour. The softest of hair, squirrel, is used “for detailing and shading the crease of the eye”.
Now, I'm sure you are all wondering why we should use cruelty-free makeup brushes if I just gave you ten reasons why people find them good to use. Well brace yourself because what I read from the same article by Britta Aragon (linked above), is quite graphic. It begins with the question, "Are the animals harmed when they give up this hair?" then goes on to say, "according to caringconsumer.com, mink and sable brushes often use hair obtained from the fur industry, which is known for trapping and killing animals for their pelts, often by gassing or electrocuting to avoid damaging the hair. Horse hair commonly comes from horses slaughtered for meat, goats are shorn like sheep (and may suffer cuts and other injuries), and squirrels are hunted or trapped. Some manufacturers obtain their hair supplies from other countries, where animal welfare regulations are either lax or nonexistent.”


In my opinion, what's said above is so heart-breaking that even the stiffness of badger hair, or the softness of a squirrel doesn't make me want to use brushes that have come from animals that have unwillingly given their life for the sake of a "high-quality" makeup brush. There are plenty of amazing synthetic brushes out there that are just as soft, and are in my opinion, work better. 

In my free time, I watch a ton of beauty guru's on YouTube (such as FluerDeForce and MakeupByTiffanyD, check out "My Favorite Beauty Blogs" Tab on the left side of my blog home page). A company that I have learned a lot about through these videos is Sigma Beauty. Sigma has a line of vegan/cruelty-free brushes called the "Bunny Collection".  This set costs $59.00 on the Sigma site (picture to the right). For a cheaper option, Eco Tools (pictured above)brush sets can vary in prices but one similar to the set pictured above costs $7.99 at TargetLastly, a huge plus is that they don't shed on your face like the non-synthetic brushes do. I am using Eco Tools at the moment, and haven't been happier with quality and softness of any brushes I have used in the past!

Cheers,
Haleigh

At Home

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment:

  1. Yes , I see someone dead animal parts , and someone who is to vain and cruel to care that these animals were horribly treated . I see fear , agony , death , and an idiot who is too self absorbed to care.

    ReplyDelete